A building that stored gun powder and ammunition for the Spanish military once sat on the property The Old Powder House now sits on. That dome shaped coquina storage building was built in the 1700s. It was constructed outside the city walls in case of an explosion taking place.
- Our inn was moved to this property from another part of town in 1901. It was used as a private home.
- In 1916 the home was broken up into several apartments.
- In 1925 part of the home was also run as a store.
- Then, in the 1930’s it became an apartment building . It was first known as the Mary Frances Apartments. In the 1960’s it became the Paris Apartments.
- And finally, in 1989 it became the Old Powder House Inn.
As the story goes, it went back to its original name because over the years, people still always referred to it as the Old Powder House. Giving directions, “Oh I know where that is, just turn left at the Old Powder House.” Or “just go up the street from the Old Powder House.”
So just know that when you stay with us, you’re a part of history!